Freemie parts are not like other pumping tools, and our care instructions differ.
You must boil Freemie hard parts before first use, not only to sanitize, but also to make them airtight. Do not skip this important step.
Pots should be uncovered when boiling. Be sure to stir constantly to ensure parts are not touching the extremely hot metal.
Freemie Cups should last about one year with proper use and care. To avoid critical system errors such as leaking, milk in tubing, or other malfunctions:
- STEAM – DO NOT steam any Freemie parts (e.g., microwave bag, dishwasher, or sterilizer)
- COLD – DO NOT store Freemie Cups in the refrigerator
- SCRATCH – DO NOT use abrasives such as bottle brushes
- UV – Use of UV tools may cause parts to become brittle and malfunction
Option 1: Boiling
Boil hard cup parts (cups, flanges, valve bases) before first use. These parts can be boiled daily if desired.
Boil hard parts for 10 minutes at a rolling boil. Be attentive and watch the pot. Stir constantly. Use a very large pot or multiple pots to avoid crowding. Crowded parts will melt if pushed against the hot metal pot.
Option 2: Hot Soapy Water
Wash parts that come into contact with breast milk immediately after each use in hot soapy water. Rinse each part very thoroughly for 10-15 seconds. A soap with a grease removing agent is best.
Option 3: Isopropyl Alcohol
You can also clean cup and tubing parts using isopropyl alcohol. Be sure your Freemie parts are COMPLETELY dry before using them. Isopropyl alcohol can be dangerous if not dried all the way.
IMPORTANT: Alternative cleaning methods are not recommended and can cause parts to fail and/or void your product warranty.
- Store Freemie parts dis-assembled; coil tubing loosely
- Start each pump session with clean, dry parts
- Wash parts separately from other dishes
- Inspect tubing and all parts before and after each session for mold, milk, or damage
- Replace soft silicone duckbill valves every 2-3 months
- Carefully inspect barriers for Next Generation Cups before and after each session for any damage, replace if torn or damaged